happy friday, everyone!
march 28th challenge: make a custom element
march 28th prompt: "ride the energy of your own unique spirit" -gabrielle roth
if you want to skip reading the details you can view my process on video below and look at the list of supplies at the end of this post.
have you ever heard of the elegant writer calligraphy pen by speedball? it's magical :-) it's hard to explain the joy i get from using this pen. i'm not sure what ink is in there but when you touch it with water it blends into shades of grey, turquoise and pink. pure joy! you'll get different result sdepending on the type of watercolor paper you use.
so i drew with a lead pencil then traced my design with the elegant writer and played with the blending and added touches of neocolor II pastels.
i was determined to do a 3/4 view face and worked at it until i was happy. my thought process behind this composition is the following: i decided to use the prompt as my focus and used gold flecks and black dots to represent energy morphing into flowing hair to finish with a solid mass (the face).
i also carried the gold into the eyes and used the neocolor II pastels to add color to the eyes and the hair. because i wanted movement in the hair, i took the direct-to-paper approach with the pastels as opposed to my favorite technique which is grabbing the color off the crayons with a wet brush then adding the color to the paper.
i used heidi swapp's gold color shine for the flecks, or my energy fragments as they stand.
love that quote. i used the movement of the hair to anchor it to my design.
the parts you see in the circle was done with the elegant writer and you can see how vibrant the pink and the green/turquoise colors are.
- 140lbs watercolor paper, cold press, 9" X 12" (strathmore)
- 3HB pencil (staedtler)
- gum eraser/cleaner (staedtler)
- elegant writer calligraphy pen, 2.0 mmf (speedball)
- yellow green #7500.230 neocolor II water soluble wax pastel (caran d'ache)
- pink #7500.081 neocolor II water soluble wax pastel (caran d'ache)
- turquoise #7500.191 neocolor II water soluble wax pastel (caran d'ache)
- azurite blue #7500.170 neocolor II water soluble wax pastel (caran d'ache)
- charcoal grey #7500.409 neocolor II water soluble wax pastel (caran d'ache)
- #30 round wash paint brush (simply simmons)
- #16 round paint brush (simply simmons)
- #8 round paint brush (simply simmons)
- #8 filbert paint brush (simply simmons)
- 3/4" watercolor wash glaze (simply simmons)
- gold color shine (heidi swapp)
- black pitt artist pen, F tip (faber-castell)
- black pitt artist pen, XS tip (faber-castell)
have a happy and creative weekend!